Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Happy Math

Daniel and I have had more than a few tear-y math lessons since the new year began.

After quelling the not-so-friendly competition with a fellow mathlete at the table...

(It should be noted that this competition is completely one-sided. Example of statements made at the table during math by one particular child: "I'm done! I'm done before you! I did all my math and it looks like you have three problems left!!" Other child's response: "Huh...?")


and continuing to encourage a more diligent and cheerful attitude...

(Question for other moms teaching their kids at home: How do you encourage your child to do excellent work when it comes to the math test? This is our first year with actual tests... So far, one particular child seems to think that the test is a race. Get it done before your brother finishes his school work and you win! Oh. And it doesn't matter if you don't do a whole row of addition problems. I'm done before you!! is all that seems to count at this point.)


we finally have a happy math day for Daniel.

All joking and sarcasm aside, we really are getting the hang of this math thing. Because it's really not just a math thing. Slowly, I'm learning that teaching these kids has so very little to do with the right curriculum or method and so very much to do with a cheerful and joyful and patient attitude on my part.

Our daily forays into academia tend to flesh out obedience issues. There they are. Right there on the table with the math blocks. And what do you know? Those issues aren't just Daniel's or Michael's.

Parenting is quite the crucible for coming to terms with your own faults.

2 comments:

amy said...

Good job you guys making math happy!

I love your paragraph about the obedience issues. You are such a kindred Rebecca.

I have been reminding Luke lately that when I ask him to do something (academically) that he needs to obey simply because I am the mom/teacher --even if he feels he already knows it.
He is learning. I remember this being a big issue with Aidan at one time too. I am encouraged that with Aidan it no longer is an issue (at least right now).

I can so relate to the competition issues! We now have 2 that are always competing and 1 who is oblivious.

Cutzi said...

Isn't that the truth? I was coming to terms with one of my faults just now talking with Steele while your blog was open on my computer. I'm struggling with patience and gentleness lately.

I don't have any thoughts on math but have been encouraged on this subject from a book Amy loaned me that you may have read called When You Rise Up by RC Sproul. I definitely have to read it and chew on it in bits at a time. So thankful that the Lord's grace abounds - it's such a big job.