Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Hike Numero Uno

I love that I learned to hike and how to enjoy it as a child.

This summer my parents have taken us all on a couple hikes with the intention of teaching our kids the basics of walking in the woods in a group with packs on.

For our first hike, we walked through the woods down to the beach in Seattle

We learned about reading our maps. And when to use our emergeny whistle. And how to use our compasses.


Here's the whole group ready to go: Look at that! That's my whole family on my side! What a treat to do something all together!


All the kids carried backpacks... I think Josiah's contained his First Aid Kit: one bandaid inside a ziplock bag.


Now he's helping me hike. See our fashionable compass rings?


Pretty ladies on the beach...


Can I use my whistle yet? -Mercy



The big boys... who carry all our gear so that Bob and I can carry the babies.



Children and their favorite toys: sticks.


Watching the beached seal pup...




Yay! We're back at the cars!


Time for ice cream...



"Mercy, what was your favorite thing about the hike today?"


"Being in the fwont of everybody!"





Stay tuned for our next adventure: Summer Hike Numero Dos!

Photo credits go to my mom and whoever else was holding her camera. 

1 comment:

Ells said...

I dearly love Mercy's boot-wearing ways. :)

What an awesome tradition and memory your parents are making with your family!!!