Sunday, May 10, 2009

Proverbs 31:28

I just finished reading a little about Mother's Day over at Girl Talk. The subject of this particular post is this proverb:

Her children rise up and call her blessed.
Proverbs 31:28

In the past, when I have read this verse amidst the many standards for wife-lihood laid out in Proverbs 31, I've thought, somewhat hopefully, that when I am old and my children are grown, they will rise and call me blessed. And I've thought how that will be nice, won't it? To have my boys and my girl, after years of possible rough spots, to come around to the realization that I was a good mom after all.

And as I was reading through the descriptions of the familiar weariness a mommy of many little people experiences, I had to stop and think.

So I did.

I stopped and thought about the many, many times a day that I hear Michael say to me:

Mommy, you are my most favorite person in this house!

Mommy, I want to hug you, because I love you!

You look so beautiful, Mommy!


And from Daniel: Mommy, I want to sit by YOU at Bible Time. I'm going to save you a seat next to me.

And from Mercy, who has just recently begun to echo these sentiments she has heard from her brothers: Mommy, you look VEwy PWItty!

I am blessed. My children do rise up, even now, and call me blessed!

Now, I'm not disagreeing with the neat ladies over at Girl Talk. I'm a weary mom, just as they have described. And most of the time, I act like it, which isn't "beautiful", or "PWItty". Isn't this proof that God's love for my children is coming through me to them, somehow? Despite my weariness and grouchyness and unlovelyness?

I am so thankful for this and I give our Heavenly Father the glory for the abundance of affection I receive on a daily basis from my children. My prayers are that I will continue to strive towards being a godly mommy worthy of these sweet little compliments I receive from my children. And that in my many failings, He will point them towards Himself, the perfect example of a parent.



Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Carla said...

Well said mama! I almost get nervous when I see the proverbs 31 reference. :) Its so hard to live up to the "super mom" standard set by so many Christian cirlces today. There are formulas to follow and images to uphold. I thnk the most important thing is that, like you said, we point them to the one that is the perfect parent...and who can redeem even our sometimes muddled attempts at motherhood! The legacy of a Godly mother will go on farther than she will ever see with her own eyes...even if she forgot her cheerful voice once in a while ;) And we are awfully blessed by these sticky little faces looking up at us right now! :)

Jodi said...

Well said for sure! Their little praises are a gift indeed...thank you for the reminder. :) Have a happy mother's day Rebecca!

amy said...

Good words Rebecca!

Happy Mother's day to you!

And your doing a really good job!