Thursday, July 15, 2010

There's no turning back

I just finished performing minor surgery on Josiah's transitional object. Afoo the Elephant had a permanent trunk trim. I stitched him up so that the part that spends most of it's time in Josiah's mouth is gone. I did this sneaky deed kind of suddenly but I've been considering it for a long time. I felt like it deserved some explaination when I brought Afoo to Jo at bedtime. On the fly, I told Jo that Afoo had a pretty bad owie and that we could put a bandaid on Afoo's nose.

Josiah was open to this kind of um logic even while his sister and brother were chanting in disbelief "Mommy cut it off. Mommy cut it off? Mommy cut it off!"

He selected the bandaid that Afoo might like while simultaneously making the crying sounds a small injured elephant might make. A tight hug for Afoo from the proud Josiah and I put them both in bed to read books.

Painless parenting move towards better dental health or complete Mommy fail? Only time will tell...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo, how did Josiah do without Afoo's trunk? Was he ok with the bandaid?

amy said...

Mommy genius if you ask me.

Gigi said...

Way to do it without lying. If you think about it, it would be a pretty bad owie if an elephant had a trunk-trim!